the neighbours
Well I’m glad I don’t have my neighbours as my parents. I know I shouldn’t be eavesdropping but I definitely heard something amusing across the road this evening. Not eavesdropping, actually, the conversation was pretty loud. I could conveniently hear everything from my garden. Here goes the scene…
Mother: A!!! B!!! (not their real names) Don’t go so far. Come back here
(Sons cycles back from end of the street)
Mother: aiyo. All sweating already! How many times must I tell you not to play so much? See later tired already, how to study?
Son: Exercise maaa……..
Mother: What exercise??
*rofl* haha….by that time I was really laughing out loud so I got into my house to hide my amusement. Gosh, those are boys, kids who were supposed to enjoy themselves playing (at least during weekends)!!! Both of them are still below 14 and I don’t think there’s any like real studying to do.
I remember those nights when I still stayed home. Voices from the boys reciting to memorize were often loud enough to be clearly heard from INSIDE my house. And more often than not, there will be this other voice nagging and grumbling all along. Next thing I knew, they got a home tutor to attend to their primary school kids. And then there’s the piano. I hear the boys on the piano everyday, almost like 3 hours each day!! And seeing them out of their house is a rare sight.
I’m just wondering whether these kids are having fun. If I had a life which was made up of 6 hours school, 3 hours piano and countless hours of homework and tuition, I wouldn’t be happy. Not even the least bit. Come on, where’s the time to have fun?? Or at least exercise??
Talking bout exercise, people also have this funny misconception. I’ve even met 18 year old- biology equipped-teens who think that exercise is for losing weight ONLY. Trust me, I’ve often been asked of why I was still running regularly (that was back then) even if I was thin. Some even had the notion to ask me to give up exercise. You know it isn’t true that running made me thin. I was thin since I was little. In fact I would be thinner now if I hadn’t taken up running. Of course running burnt calories but unknown to many, it amplifies my appetite. On any average running day, I eat at least 2.5 times more than a non running day. Same goes with swimming too. In short, exercise makes me gain weight and idling makes me lose appetite and weight.
Still on my neighbours, both A and B are stick thin. (I’ll use the fact as support: Some people only gain weight if they exercise). Once, I heard little B tell his mum, ‘Ma, I’m skinny because I don’t eat KFC. Lets go to KFC more often.’ I wonder if it’s just me or it’s really funny. Err, fried chicken is fattening (don’t wanna get sued). I think the mother realized too. I noticed that over time, the father was putting on weight. Yet both A and B were still stick thin. I guess the mother did ‘enrich’ the diet. Things are very different when you’re ageing and your metabolism slows down causing you to put on weight easily.
So that’s it, the story of my neighbours from a nosey neighbour’s point of view. Sure, I know it’s none of my business and yet I’m kept amused for about 20 minutes putting this post together.
In conclusion (ESL ahah), I’m a super bored nosey parker who has nothing to blog about and is glad that her parents give her loadsa freedom.
jiayeng
@
12:07 AM