Photobucket
..
Friday, March 02, 2007

Taylor's vs Monash
Hehe!!! My first week at Monash University is almost over!!! I've taken to typing my blog posts at my temporary home (sister's house), offline then post it later on th uni computers.

The verdict about uni life for the moment is uni life is highly different from college. Lemme put this in the "what-I-like-and-dislike" format.

Likes for Taylor's.... and dislikes about Monash

1. After a week, I noticed that skirts are highly popular in the campus we currently share with Sunway University College compared to the TCSJ campus. I suppose the reason could be the different structure of the buildings on campus since the open corridors endorse peeping toms from below at Taylors. Taylor's corridors are very airy-although it may get sunny in the mornings and evenings- whereas the monash hallways are mainly enclosed and can get very stuffy when 200 people are waiting to enter one lecture theatre. The passageways at Monash Uni also boasts of many unsightly pipings hovering above (hopefully, the new campus across the road is better). Guys get compensated by the pretty sight of girls in skirts but for us girls, that's nothing much.

2. At Taylor's, lunch hour can mean anything from Asia cafe to Uncle Seng (btw, if you haven't tried Uncle Seng noodles while at subang, that would be such a waste. I miss it so) or even the comfy air-conditioned cafeteria. In uni, break means either hanging out in some crowded, hot cafeteria or some hawker stalls mainly selling the same old stuff near the sidegate. Our choices are now limited to Cafeteria, Medan Selera, Pink, Orange or White (We named the coffeeshops after the colours of the walls). But then again, our cafeteria has more choices compared to Taylors.

3. The tables in the classes. They are of the similiar size but the Monash tables have no shelves below the table. In uni, we are expected to juggle thicker books in less space?

4. The seats in the lecture theatre. So far I've been to only two in monash. The benches are so hard and too closely-spaced!!!! In taylors, we have quite a few very nice LT's with comfy chairs. If new campus isn't any better, I shall have to endure years of pain-in-the-butt situations.
Likes about Monash, dislikes about Taylors

1. The style of learning is very different. In uni, there's not much pushing from the lecturers and tutors. I like to have that feeling that I can do it, if I want to or skip it if I feel like it. I'm not typically a lazy person but I'm totally not up to doing what I think is unnecesary or simply pointless.

2. Mass lectures. In taylor's we're confined to a single group where getting to know friends outside the class is so difficult unless you have many mutual friends to make introductions. Uni lets us attend lectures together. So far, I've made quite a few aquaintances! Hopefully the friendship circle will grow larger, but that wouldn't mean I don't wanna stay together with my college buddies from taylors.

3. Curtly, Monash and Sunway big big big big library compared to the TCSJ library. But Taylors will probably have a big one too when the new campus is ready.

4. Like No. 3, the facilities at Sunway is mainly better than TCSJ.

So that's a Taylor's vs Monash 4:4. I guess I have to be happy whatever it is. No point of being unhappy, eh?

jiayeng @ 9:28 AM Comments (0) READ
KINKS I CANNOT FIX
Clicking on the seemingly empty space by the sides of the pictures will link you to the image itself if you're using FireFox or Chrome. Shall try to remove the links altogether when uploading pictures next time.


LOVES

Photobucket


NAME ME A NEW ZEALAND ARTIST! Stuff you hardly hear of, even in Oz


Gin Wigmore anyone?
Air NZ's bare essentials campaign
Gin Wigmore - Under My Skin


Goldenhorse - Jump into the Sun


Pluto - Long White Cross


Tiki Taane ft Julia Deans
Our Favourite Target


Shihad - Everything




Bald men, like MILOW!
Milow - Ayo Technology
Milow's not Kiwi, though



KICKS

Alien vs POOH
Photobucket


Modified from a skin by Kirina at Blogskins